16.8.16

The great argument: Introverted VS Extroverted



My casual summer afternoon: in my room, with a coffee on my side, in my cozy top and shorts to feel the heat on a bare minimum, ready to animate stuff. Specs, Lindsey Stirling's music playing and I am ready to work. Love me the peace and quiet of the house, and love my work as well.

But apparently, to my friend, my love for peace and quiet is debatable. Me turning down the opportunity to go out with her, to just stay home and animate sounds extraordinary. It's almost as if I am avoiding her and shutting everyone out of the experience that is, obviously, my company (I'm being ironic, of course).

In a calm manner, I try to explain to her via texts that this is just me. This really is me. I don't like going out on a daily basis, just like I don't like to go out every two or three or four days. I like to put a space between my dates with friends (or even boyfriends). I feel that going out for too long is a challenge to my neurons and it only makes me feel tired after a few hours. Same goes to parties and other big social events. After a while I will just seek shelter to the sanctuary that is my alone time. I will have coffee, listen to music, relax. This is how I recharge my batteries. 

This is my key difference with her. I like staying in, she likes going out.

After I've told my friend all about being an introvert, she still can't grasp the concept. She thinks that me "shutting everyone out" is a part of me being agoraphobic; the latter might be related to the first characteristic, but that one was there since I've ever existed. I didn't enjoy parties, balls, going out for too long ever since I can remember. I felt better staying at home drawing, playing piano or watching my favorite series, reading a book. Simple!

I try once again to explain that while she feels refreshed while going out, as extroverts do, I don't. I feel refreshed only if I do it once a month, with people I feel are of the same frequency as me; people who care about the arts, most likely art students or drawing enthusiasts like me, people who understand my language (no, I don't want to have to translate to everyone what a labret or dreads or goth or dotwork, or alternative culture, music, or whatever really, means). Hell, I'll ever feel better if I go for a walk alone, or for a ride with my skateboard. Alone. 

She insists on not understanding. I insist that it's totally normal for us to be different, and that she doesn't have to pressure me --it will only make us both have a bad time. In the end, my introverse is not stopping her from finding new friends that like to go out and be social. It's merely stopping me from being that person for her.

And I expect this to be normal; we're not married, I am not obliged to succumb to every single one of my friends' whims.

So, establishing that there are two kinds of people out there, remember this post the next time your friend says "no thanks, I'd rather sit at home and watch Game of Thrones" or something. If it's common for them to be like that, they are not sulking and they are in no manner, trying to get rid of you. It's only normal to them, even if it's strange to you.

Have a wonderful week, everyone.
I'll just keep animating, and you just keep doing your thing.

- Alopyx (*´▽`*)

No comments:

Post a Comment